Friday 16 June 2017

Introduction - The Challenge....

Image result for hollywood singing and dancingI've always been a bit of a Movie Buff. I like watching them, reading about them, and I particularly enjoy films about them - whether they are documentaries (my favourite being the 11 hour history of Film Musicals!) or actual films about films (which is why I'm looking forward to number 85 on my challenge!). I always want to answer film categories on Pointless, and I recently managed to name every one of the Oscar winning actors on a picture round - including Greer Garson and Jean Dujardin.....

So I was quite surprised that it was my husband Andy who, rather casually, suggested last week that we should try to watch every Best Picture Oscar winner in order. I didn't need to think twice.

Challenge Accepted!!!

Academy Award trophy.jpgStrictly speaking there have been 89 Oscar ceremonies, which means 89 winners - but in the first year the categories were rather unusual and included both "Outstanding Picture" and "Unique and Artistic Picture". Records tend to go with just the first of these ("Wings"), but I think both should be remembered so have included it as our first picture. It's called "Sunrise" - which means we start with Sunrise and end with Moonlight! (although I suspect there will be at least one more film to include by the time we get there).

I am aware that we are going to have to endure some pretty ropey stuff along the way. And I don't mean some of the forgotten or dated winners from the 30s and 40s. Despite being a fan of Musicals, I have an irrational hatred of Gigi so I'm going to spend 1959 wishing I was watching Liz and Rock instead. And, with a couple of notable exceptions, the 1990s are going to be hard-going. Andy has also insisted that, when we get to Return of the King, we have to watch the whole trilogy in its extended form. So that's going to pad out the 2000s quite a bit....

However - there's a long way to go until we get there!

I've already got 1927-1933 set and ready to go and, so far, haven't come across any of the 90 films that aren't either available to buy on DVD for about £5 or in the public domain and up on Youtube in good condition.

Can't wait to get started....

No comments:

Post a Comment